We choose our product recommendations independently, however, we may receive compensation for purchases made through our site. Learn More
Cannabidiol, or CBD oil, is a cannabinoid, or naturally occurring biochemical found in cannabis plants. Cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system in humans, and these reactions can affect sleep, mood, pain, and appetite. However, CBD does not produce any psychoactive effects on its own and will not make people feel high, as is the case with other cannabinoids like tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). As a result, CBD oil products are widely used to alleviate symptoms for a wide range of medical conditions and disorders.
CBD oil products come in several different forms. Many users prefer gummy edibles, or gummies, which are ingested orally. Most gummies contain between 5mg and 30mg of CBD, resulting in a mellow interaction that will not cause excessive drowsiness. Many users prefer to take more than one gummy at a time, but optimal dosage depends on the individual’s tolerance, as well as age, weight, and other factors.
The CBD oil in most gummies is extracted from hemp plants and has been isolated from THC and other cannabinoids that induce high feelings. These gummies are legal in all 50 states. However, some gummies may contain CBD with trace amounts of THC; the legality of these products varies by state. For this guide, we will focus exclusively on non-THC gummies.
Read on to learn more about CBD gummies, including potential health benefits and risks, ingestion methods, and recommended doses. Below you’ll find our picks for the best CBD gummies sold today.
Best CBD Gummies
- Editor’s Pick – Fab CBD
- Editor’s Pick (THC-Free) – Medterra
- Best Product Selection – PlusCBD Oil
- Best Value – cbdMD
- Best Taste – CBDfx
- Best Flavor Options – CBDistillery
The Best CBD Gummies – Reviewed
- Derived from non-GMO hemp
- 25mg per gummy
- $0.08 per mg
Our Editor’s Pick, FAB CBD, offers all-natural, vegan gummies that have a pleasant, fruity flavor derived from organic concentrated apple, carrot, and black currant. The gummies are made of CBD isolate from pesticide-free hemp, and also contain some organic terpenes that enhance the relaxing effects.
Each Fab CBD gummy contains 25mg of CBD, making them ideal for anyone who weighs 130 pounds or more and is seeking moderate to strong effects. Fab CBD gummies are reasonably priced at about $0.08 per mg; each container includes 30 individual capsules. Full lab reports for these gummies are found on the company’s website.
Editor’s Pick (THC-Free)
- Three varieties
- 25mg per gummy
- $0.05 per mg
Our THC-free Editor’s Pick is Medterra’s new line of CBD gummies, which are a great choice for anyone interested in CBD who would like to avoid THC altogether. Each gummy is made with 25mg of CBD and a combination of tapioca syrup, water, sugar, citrus pectin, and natural colors and flavors. Medterra’s CBD gummies come in three different varieties and each style is a different flavor with the Stay Calm in Tropical Fruit, Sleep Tight in Strawberry, and Stay Alert in Citrus Punch.
While the basic gummy formula is the same, each of Medterra’s CBD gummies comes with different added natural ingredients meant to help promote different states of mind. The Stay Calm blend is intended to help promote calming and relaxation and has added L-Theanine; the Sleep Tight variety helps promote relaxation and restful sleep and has added melatonin, chamomile, 5-HTP, passion flower, and lemon balm; lastly, the Stay Alert gummies are meant to help contribute to mental clarity and focus and they are made with added guarana, green tea, and gingko.
While the concentration of CBD in these gummies is a bit on the higher side, it is in a range that will work for a wide variety of CBD users as well as offering great bang for the buck. The gummies currently come in 30-count bags, and the price-per-mg calculates out to a rather low $.05 per mg.
Best Product Selection
- Gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free
- Two flavor options
- 5mg per gummy
- $0.19 to $0.24 per mg
Full-spectrum CBD gummies from PlusCBD Oil are ideal for people who prefer lower concentrations. Each gummy contains 5mg of CBD, resulting in mild yet noticeable effects, as well as fatty acids, other phytocannabinoids, terpenes, and Vitamin E. Other ingredients include purified water, organic seaweed extract, and organic cane sugar. PlusCBD Oil gummies are derived from non-GMO, U.S.-grown hemp plants. They do not contain gluten, dairy, soy, or gelatin.
Customers can choose from two delicious flavors, Cherry Mango or Fruit Punch; both effectively mask the natural taste of CBD. Additionally, 30-count and 60-count containers are available; prices per mg range from $0.24 for the 30-count to $0.19 for the 60-count. Although this price-per-mg is somewhat high, keep in mind these gummies have a lower concentration; the cost per gummy is on par with most competing products.
- Derived from organic, non-GMO hemp
- Three flavors in each bottle
- 10mg or 25mg per gummy
- $0.08 to $0.10 per mg
Our Best Value pick, cbdMD, offers standout CBD gummies at a very reasonable price-point. The CBD oil used in the gummies is derived from organically-grown, non-GMO hemp. The gummies are also gluten-free and vegan-friendly, making them suitable for people with these dietary restrictions. Each bottle includes three fruity flavors aided with cane sugar, organic sunflower oil, and other natural ingredients.
cbdMD gummies are available in 300mg or 750mg per bottle concentrations, resulting in 10mg or 25mg per gummy, respectively. The brand advises lighter individuals to start with a dose of 15mg or less. At $0.08 to $0.10 per mg, cbdMD gummies are low-priced compared to gummy products from other competing brands.
- Full-spectrum gummies derived from organic hemp
- Multiple flavor options
- 5mg or 40mg per gummy
- $0.20 per mg
CBD gummy flavoring can be an issue for some consumers; CBD has a natural taste that many find bitter and somewhat unpleasant. CBDfx remedies this issue with by offering two flavor options for gummies. Our favorite is the fruity option, which contains organic cane sugar and natural flavors. These full-spectrum gummies are available in a 5mg concentration, making them ideal for those who prefer low-concentration edibles. The gummies are packaged in 60-count containers; the recommended serving size is two gummies.
Additionally, CBDfx also offers 5mg gummies in 8-count packages, as well as product bundles including CBD gummies, capsules, and flavored vape pens. CBDfx produces all gummies with U.S.-grown, organic hemp oil; artificial sweeteners are never used. The price-point is roughly $0.20 per mg or $0.99 per gummy, making these products very reasonably priced.
Best Flavor Options
- Full-spectrum gummies derived from organic hemp
- Multiple flavor options
- 5mg or 40mg per gummy
- $0.20 per mg
CBDistillery offers two CBD gummy products with distinct effects and benefits for users. Standard CBD gummies are designed for consumption throughout the day; each bear-shaped gummy contains 30mg of CBD isolate that contains no THC, making them suitable for employees who face random or routine drug tests. CBDistillery also sells Night Time Gummies; each of these contains 30mg of CBD along with 2mg of sleep-inducing melatonin. Both CBDistillery gummy products are derived from U.S.-grown, non-GMO hemp, and are considered vegan.
Flavor is a common complaint about CBD gummies. Many people who try non-flavored or mildly flavored gummies report a bitter, unpleasant aftertaste. The CBD gummies from CBDistillery are a notable exception. Flavored with cane juice and organic white grape concentrate, they have a pleasant, fruity taste that overpowers the CBD components. Both the standard and night-time gummies cost $0.07 per mg, making them very reasonably priced compared to similar gummies from other brands.
Buying Guide – Shopping for the Best CBD Gummies
Many people who use CBD oil prefer to ingest the substance orally in the form of an edible or capsule. Gummies are one of the most popular edible options for CBD consumers.
Often times, gummies are flavored with fruit juice and other natural ingredients, giving them a distinct, pleasant taste that masks the taste of CBD (which some find bitter and unpleasant). Gummies are also soft and easy to chew, making them a good option for people with dentures or other dental issues who are not well-suited for harder capsules.
Gummies come in a wide range of concentrations, from low-dose 1mg to 10mg options to high-dose gummies of up to 100mg per serving.
Read on to learn more about CBD gummies and whether this form of CBD is right for you. This guide discusses the benefits of CBD oil, health risks associated with gummies, and general consumption instructions.
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a cannabinoid found in cannabis plants. Cannabinoids are natural compounds that, when introduced to the human body, react with a communication center known as the endocannabinoid system. These interactions have an effect on functions like appetite, sleep, pain, and mood. As a result, products containing CBD can alleviate symptoms associated with the following conditions:
- Insomnia, other sleep disorders, and general difficulty falling and staying asleep
- Anxiety and stress
- Chronic pain
- Cancer, HIV, and other diseases that affect the immune system
Many associate cannabis with marijuana and getting high. However, CBD is different from other tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other cannabinoids found in cannabis because it does not produce any psychoactive effects on its own.
CBD may cause feelings of relaxation and sleepiness, but it will not create a high. That being said, quite a few CBD products also contain trace amounts of THC (less than .03%); these products create more of a psychoactive high. Most CBD gummies do not contain any THC.
Although some CBD oil is synthetically produced, most CBD products are derived from hemp plants. Historically, legal restrictions have limited the production, sale, and consumption of hemp-based products. However, passage of the 2018 Farm Bill led to the federal decriminalization of these activities. As a result, non-THC CBD oil products derived from hemp are legal to sell, buy, and use/consume anywhere in the U.S. In states where recreational cannabis is legal, CBD products containing THC are also legal. Other state laws vary considerably by location.
For the purposes of this guide, we focus on CBD gummies that do not contain THC.
How Do Gummies Differ from Other CBD Products?
Gummies offer a unique experience for CBD consumers that sets them apart from tinctures, topicals, and other forms of CBD. Common properties of CBD gummies include the following:
- Edible: Because gummies are consumed orally, they – like other CBD edibles – typically produce longer-lasting effects than other forms of CBD oil, such as tinctures or vape oils. However, the level of effects also depends on the gummy’s CBD concentration.
- Concentration: A CBD gummy may have a concentration of up to 100mg, but most have concentrations of 30mg per capsule or lower. The ideal CBD concentration depends on the consumer’s body weight and CBD tolerance, as well as the amount of pain relief they desire. For most people who weigh less than 200 pounds and have moderate to severe pain, a 30mg CBD serving is sufficient. Those who weigh more than 200 pounds may prefer to take higher concentrations.
- Isolate vs. full spectrum: Whether a CBD oil is considered isolate or full-spectrum depends on how the oil is formulated. Isolate CBD oils only contain THC, while full-spectrum oils retain the CBD along with other non-psychoactive cannabinoids like cannabicyclol (CBL) and cannabinol (CBN), essential oils known as terpenes, and other nutrients. Most CBD gummies sold today are full-spectrum because they produce more well-rounded feelings of relaxation and pain relief, which make them popular with consumers. However, some gummies are made from CBD isolate.
- Flavor: CBD gummies come in a wide range of flavors, including fruity and herbal options. CBD has a naturally strong taste that some people dislike, and some flavored gummies mask the taste of CBD very well.
- Sugar content: Some CBD gummies contain sugar, which makes them unsuitable for consumers with certain medical conditions (such as diabetes). However, most gummies have a fairly low sugar content. Additionally, most gummies contain at least 10mg of CBD and consumers will not eat more than three to four per dose. For those seeking sugar-free CBD gummies, plenty of options are available, as well.
- Gluten-free/vegan: CBD consumers who are vegan or unable to eat gluten products can choose from a wide selection of gluten-free, vegan gummies. However, some gummies do not meet either/both of these criteria. For this reason, customers with these restrictions should carefully read the product label and reach out to company representatives if necessary.
- Price: Price-points for CBD gummies vary by brand and individual product, but most are available for 20 cents per mg or less; this puts gummies on par with other CBD oil products in terms of overall cost. Keep in mind that ‘per mg’ refers to the total CBD concentration found in the container, and not the number of gummies. For instance, let’s say a container of 30 5mg gummies is priced at $20. This puts the container at roughly 13 cents per mg, and roughly 67 cents per gummy.
Are CBD Gummies Safe?
CBD gummies and most other products containing CBD oil are considered generally safe. Their relaxing and pain-relieving qualities are well documented, and side effects are minor (if not non-existent) for most consumers. However, CBD may lead to the following bodily issues:
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth is associated with most CBD products; cannabinoids may interact with receptors that control salivation, resulting in mild but uncomfortable dryness inside the mouth. Strong feelings of thirst may also occur. Gummies with high concentrations of fruit juice may limit dry mouth to some extent, but most CBD consumers find that drinking at least one glass of water will effectively curb dry mouth symptoms.
- Lower blood pressure: Some consumers experience a temporary drop in blood pressure immediately after taking CBD oil products. While this is not a serious issue for most, people with low blood pressure or those taking certain medications should check with their doctor before trying CBD products.
- Diarrhea: Large doses may upset the stomach and lead to digestive problems like diarrhea. Lower does are less likely to cause these problems.
- Changes in appetite: Increased appetite is a common side effect of CBD gummies, and CBD oil/cannabinoids in general. Because gummies are consumed as edible capsules, eating them may reduce hungry feelings to some extent.
Additionally, CBD gummies that contain sugar may not be suitable for people with diabetes or other conditions that restrict sugar intake. For these individuals, sugar-free gummies are the best option.
As a rule, anyone who is interested in taking CBD products should always check with their doctor first. Low doses are recommended for first-time consumers.
Do CBD Gummies Get You High?
CBD gummies produce feelings of relaxation in consumers; they also alleviate pains and other discomforts stemming from symptoms of different medical conditions. However, non-THC CBD gummies will not make consumers feel high in the same way that marijuana and other products with THC will. This is because CBD does not produce psychoactive effects like THC does.
Some – but not all – full-spectrum gummies with contain trace amounts of THC; in most cases, these products contain 0.3% of THC or less. They may cause extremely slight psychoactive effects but will not produce the same high as, say, edibles containing marijuana (which can be as much as 30% THC or higher).
And although CBD gummies may not produce a psychoactive high, they often cause consumers to feel sleepy. As a result, we advise consumers not to take CBD gummies if they plan to work with machinery, operate a motor vehicle, or engage in other activities that require full motor skills.
How to Eat CBD Gummies Responsibly
A CBD gummy may contain anywhere from 1mg to 100mg of CBD. However, most gummies sold today contain between 5mg and 30mg.
As we’ve noted, the optimal dosage for any given consumer will depend on his/her weight, tolerance to CBD, and desired effects. The table below lists general CBD concentration ranges for people based on their weight. However, we urge all first-time CBD consumers to begin with a relatively small dose (10mg or less) and then gradually increase the dosage until the desired effects are reached; this will likely create a more pleasurable experience than beginning with a high dose.
|Weight Group||Optimal Dose for Light Effects||Optimal Dose for Moderate Effects||Optimal Dose for Strong Effects|
|Less than 130 lbs.||10mg to 11mg or less||12mg to 14mg||15mg to 17mg|
|130 to 230 lbs.||17mg to 18mg or less||19mg to 23mg||24mg to 27mg|
|More than 230 lbs.||22mg to 23mg||24mg to 30mg||231mg to 42mg|